Tuesday, January 8, 2013

They are measurable, but I'm keeping the exact numbers private.

Right! It's about a week after New Year's.

I know, I know, it's such a cliche, making and talking about (and usually subsequently abandoning) one's new year's resolution. Perhaps nowadays it's even more of one, talking about not making a resolution in the first place, since most of us who happen to make one nearly always stop short of fully actualizing it.

The thing is, I've never made one before. I suppose I'll try it this year. This is influenced in no small part by David Wong's column on Cracked, which a friend of mine suggested for people who want to make resolutions. Read it. It's good, and not only for making resolutions, but for life in general. The main message is this: Do Things. Anything. I have to agree. And who knows, perhaps that's what's been wrong with my life, not making new year's resolutions. Here goes.




My 2013 Resolution

or

Things I Think, at the Beginning of This Year, I Should Do This Year


1. Get Good with the Piano. I think I've not got very many skills, and I think there's nothing wrong with piano-playing. Inspired by Mr. Tim Minchin. I love watching that man. If you're anything like me, you should look him up. Try "Woody Allen Jesus".

2. Write. I'll say it again. Write. I love reading, and I think that's the next logical step, write something of my own. I'm not going to restrict myself, but there are 2 things I want to do regarding writing: I want to write a song (related to item 1 above), and I want to write something that will get published. Now I'll have to get a notepad to jot down ideas. Oh, and the pen also. Bugger. Very well.

3. Exercise. This particular item must have a place in most new year's resolutions, I reckon. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't make its way onto mine. Seriously. I need to lose these globules of lipid lurking just beneath my skin. I mean, I know I like boobs, but I guess I should try living without them first. Hopefully then other boobs will come to me. Wink, wink.

4. Beg for Forgiveness. This is something I think I really must do before the year is out. To whom? To my parents of course. I've done some things, man, and some stuff, that will have undesirable consequences should they happen to find out from sources that are not me. I should tell them about those things myself.





That's it. Four items. That's four more than all the previous years' items put together. I know, it's going to be a challenge, and as I said I've not much experience in trying to commit to a set of goals I've decided on. A resolution, I think, should be, well, resolute. Unyielding. Adamant. And all the other synonyms of those words. So I'll need help with this. If any of you readers happen to meet me and see me not trying to do or trying not to do the things above, give me a swift but hopefully not unkind kick. Okay? Okay?

Okay. Thank you!

No comments: