Sunday, October 15, 2017

So Bloody Boring

Hi. I've got no particular topic I want to talk about right now, but it's almost Monday already, so I think I'll just mention what I've been up to these last few days.

I saw that non-comedy Jackie Chan movie, The Foreigner. It's filled with people who just don't know what love is. Action was okay, but felt somewhat incongruous for me since I've come to associate Jackie's fight scenes with humour and silliness. Story was meh. Seeing Pierce Brosnan speaking with Irish accent does funny things to my stomach.

I also saw Geostorm. I missed the first twenty minutes or so, but I could sort of extrapolate from the rest. Action/sci-fi? I'm not really a fan of action movies, and I like my science fiction grand and huge, so I didn't really enjoy the movie.

Seeing two action movies in a week brought this to my attention: one of the reasons I don't like action movies is they usually use some shorthand to convey character. "Typety-typety-type." Oh, she's a clever computer-y person. "Yo, I'm going to beat your high score!" Oh, he's a gamer (never mind the fact that "high scores" are nearly completely nonexistent in everyday gaming nowadays). They felt superficial and, for the most part, unnecessary! I don't know, I haven't really tried, but I suspect there are better ways to show details of someone's character.

What else? Oh! I finished reading the first Foundation novel, by Isaac Asimov. Liked it to bits. But the way the story's structured, you pretty much have to read all of the books. Or maybe it's just me? I felt that the first novel ended with no great climax (one of the characters even mentioned this). I see how it ties with the story, a great saga spanning hundreds of years. It's just . . . not what I expected when I took it off the shelf, and not entirely in a good way. It's still good, though.

Right now I'm reading Snuff, the 39th Discworld novel by the late Sir Terry Pratchett. It's another Sam Vimes story, whom I'm already very comfortable with. Pleasant and funny, which is par for the course for Sir Terry.

As for video games, nothing new. Oh, I just started Doki Doki Literature Club, which is intriguing, if you read some people's cryptic Steam reviews. Only thirty minutes in, nothing major's happened yet. I wonder what it's all about.

So yeah, that's pretty much my week. The rest is just daily stuff. Been doing Inktober, with varying seriousness day to day. And grinding for loot boxes in Overwatch (That Cultist Zenyatta skin! ARGH!), but it's still fun, since I go for just one box a day. I also had a couple of scary dreams, which is strange. I'm used to weird dreams, but scary ones are new. I wonder why they started coming.

All in all, it was a pretty boring week. Which, seeing from past experience, is potentially very dangerous. Let's see what next week brings.

No comments: